Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Fwd: WHSS, 10/14. Sing Along.

 
 
 

The American League game was a bit of a magical mystery tour, likewise, this write-up will take that approach.  See if you recognize all the Beatle songs used in this article, maybe you can identify those songs by the lyrics and sing along. "Roll up, roll up for the mystery tour, Roll up, roll up for the mystery tour, Roll up (And that's an invitation), roll up for the mystery tour, Roll up (To make a reservation), roll up for the mystery tour."

 

"The magical mystery tour is waiting to take you away, Waiting to take you away."

 

The Hitting team put on quite a show on offense and defense.  So without further delay, "may I introduce to you the act you've known for all these years, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band": M. Gonzalez, Zelazny, Duff, Jacobson, Witmer, Dampier, Constantine, Benson, Hill, Poke and Lopiccolo.  Duff and Witmer had some good plays on defense.

 

The Sitting team, aka, Baby's in Black, consisted of the following players: De'Herin, F. Gonzalez, King, Keller, Laffoon, DeRidder, Pepin, Reagen, JD, Kallister and Wells. They batted like they were feeling these lyrics at the plate. "Oh dear, what can I do? Baby's in black and I'm feeling blue, Tell me, oh what can I do?" The Sitting team was blacked out from scoring most of the game, which made them blue.

 

The Home team: Rivera, Hamilton, Toro, Giordano, Coffman, T. Smith, Hite, Hartley, Matta, Vanderburg and Wolf. This team did a good job of getting back into the game, after a slow start, they are the Get Back team. "Get back, get back. Get back to where you once belonged."

 

The Hitting team brought out their big boy bats, in the first inning, scoring 5 runs. They felt these lyrics: "Well, my heart went ''boom,'' When I crossed that room, And I held her hand in mine... Whoah, we danced through the night, And we held each other tight, And before too long I fell in love with her".  Only the lyrics were changed to fit their game: Well my heart went boom, when I crossed that plate and I held that bat in my hand. Whoah, we scored through the inning, and we high fived each other right, and before too long, we scored 5 big runs. The runs were put on the board with hits from M. Gonzalez, Duff, Jacobson, Witmer, Dampier and Benson.

 

Trying to keep pace the Sitting team answered back with this tune, "It's been a hard da''s night, and I been working like a dog." This team worked like a dog to score four runs in the first, off of hits from their "Fab Four"; King, Keller, Laffoon and DeRidder.

 

Meanwhile, the Home team only scored 2 runs in their first at bat, they sort of felt this way: "Ah, look at all the lonely people, Ah, look at all the lonely people. Eleanor Rigby picks up the rice in the church where a wedding has been. Lives in a dream, Waits at the window, wearing the face that she keeps in a jar by the door Who is it for? All the lonely people Where do they all come from ? All the lonely people Where do they all belong ?"  The Home team was alone, at the bottom of the 3 team game, they were picking up the celebration rice that the other two teams were throwing, after the first inning.

 

After 1 inning; Hitting team: 5 - Sitting team: 4- Home team: 2.

 

The next two innings were played like these familiar Beatles lyrics:

"Help, I need somebody, Help, not just anybody, Help, you know I need someone, help. When I was younger, so much younger than today, I never needed anybody's help in any way. But now these days are gone, I'm not so self assured, Now I find I've changed my mind and opened up the doors. Help me if you can, I'm feeling down And I do appreciate you being round. Help me, get my feet back on the ground, Won't you please, please help me." All three teams needed help producing runs. The Hitting team and the Sitting team were shut out both innings. The Home team could only produce one run in the same time frame.

 

The score after 3 innings: Hitting team 5- Sitting team 4- Home team 3.

The Home team put it in gear, in the 4th inning, when the Home Team decided to drive the ball like they were driving a car though the field. They scored four runs off of key hits by Matta, Vanderburg, a home run by Rivera, a triple by Hamilton and a double by Toro. The HR, triple and double all were hit with two outs on the board. "Baby you can drive my car. Yes I'm gonna be a star. Baby you can drive my car And baby I love you. Beep beep'm beep beep yeah."

 

The score after 4 innings: Hitting team: 7- Sitting team: 4 – Home team: 7.

 

The Hitting team and Home team seemed destined to fight it out the rest of the game as they battled back and forth, scoring runs. The Sitting team played a little music, but not enough to keep up with the other two bands. The Home team slugged their way into the lead in the sixth inning, when they scored a sweet tune: 5 runs, off of 6 hits, they were also helped by two fielding errors. It seemed like the team in the field played bad defense for that one inning. "Here come old flattop, he come grooving up slowly. He got joo-joo eyeball, he one spinal cracker, He got hair down to his knee, Got to be a joker he just do what he please." The defensive team's fielders grooved too slowly, they had joo-joo eye ball, trying to catch the ball. They cracked their spine reaching for balls just out of their reach. The ball bounced off their glove like a bad joke. As for the Home team, they hit well, life was good for them, like living in a yellow submarine: "As we live a life of ease. Everyone of us has all we need. Sky of blue and sea of green. In our yellow submarine."

 

After 6 innings the score was: Hitting team: 12- Sitting team:7- Home team: 14.

In the all-important, 7th inning, the Hitting team came out to hit on the money and try to win the game. "The best things in life are free, But you can tell me 'bout the birds and bees. Now gimme money (that's what I want) That's what I want (that's what I want) That's what I want, ye-ye-yeh, That's what I want." That's what they got, the Hitting team hit the ball on the money, scoring two runs and tying the game. Dampier walked, Constantine tripled and Benson singled, to knot up the score.

 

The Sitting team finished the game with a loss, they could only add two more runs to their score to finish off their batting in the 7th. They took last place in the three team game and thus they are left with these sad lyrics to ponder for a day. "I'm a loser, I'm a loser. And I'm not what I appear to be……Although I laugh and I act like a clown, Beneath this mask I am wearing a frown, My tears are falling like rain from the sky, Is it for her or myself that I cry.

 

The Home team needed one run to win the game. They could either wind up like the Walrus, "I am he, as you are he, as you are me and we are all together. See how they run like pigs from a gun, see how they fly. I'm crying." We could cry because our score would be the same as the Hitting team's score, if we could not score a run. We would be one with them, tied 14-14.  Or, we could win it, by scoring a run we could Twist and Shout. "Well, shake it up, baby, now, (shake it up, baby) Twist and shout. (twist and shout) C'mon c'mon, c'mon, c'mon, baby, now, (come on baby) Come on and work it on out. (work it on out)."  As it turned out, we shook it up that last inning. It all started when Matta walked and Torro came in to pinch run for him.  Juan was then singled to second, after one out, when Wolf hit a single up the middle. Rivera gave us reason to twist and shout when he knocked in the winning run with a single to left field. "You know you twist so fine!"

 

Final Score Hitting team: 14- Sitting team: 9- Home team: 15

 

After a game like what can I say but, "coo coo coochoo".

 

WP: Matta

 

Hitting team leading hitters:

Duff: 3/3 with a double and a walk.

Constantine: 3/ 4 with a triple.

Benson: 4/ 4.

 

Sitting team leading hitters:

Laffoon: 3/3 and a walk.

Reagen: 2/ 4 with a HR.

Kallister: 2/ 3.

Wells: 2/3.

 

Home team leading hitters:

Rivera: 3/ 5 with a HR.

Toro: 4/4 with two doubles.

Coffman: 3 / 4.

T. Smith: 3/ 4 with a triple.

Matta: 3/ 3 with a double and a walk.

 

 

=

No comments:

Post a Comment