Wednesday, May 13, 2020

NEWS FROM THE COMMMISSIONER - MAY 13,2020

I  hope everyone is healthy and doing okay. I don't have any good news to tell everyone but I haven't posted anything in a while so I though I had better let you know what I know concerning the opening of the Diamondplex and others.

After the April 27, 2020 City Commission meeting, the City of Winter Haven posted on their website that the DiamondPlex is going to open on May 29th. I got excited and called Cameron Stevens and asked if we could start having pickup games for our league that day. As usual, when you are dealing with the government, what they said is not what they meant. Cameron says their will be no league or pickup softball at the DiamondPlex until at least June 12th. At that time they will make a decision as to how the structure of the league will be handled. This will include the number of players allowed in the dugout, rather or not spectators will be allowed and how they will deal with social distancing. When I hear more, I will let you know.

Polk County announced they were going to open their parks on May 1st. So, I called the parks and recreation department to find out what that meant. Disappointed again. The parks are open but the softball fields remain closed. They could not tell me when they would be open again for playing softball.

The City of Lakeland has started opening up some of their parks. So, I called the parks and recreation department to find out what that meant. Disappointed again. No softball fields are open. They anticipate opening the ball fields when the Governor opens up Phase 2 for the rest of the state. The date of the Governors Phase 2 has not been announced yet.

We are not alone in this lack of softball being played. Florida Half Century had to cancel their
June 6th-7th 60's tournament scheduled for Polk County. Hillsborough County has not opened their fields yet.

There is good news. Bot Hite has been very active with our Facebook page. If you have not joined the growing number of our members on Facebook, send Bob a Facebook request and he will let you join. Good Job Bob Hite.

Stay Healthy. Wash Your Hands, Practice Social Distancing, Wear a Face Mask in Public, Avoid Crowds and stay away from anyone that you know is sick.

Don Witmer, Commissioner
Winter Haven Senior Softball    

No comments:

Post a Comment